Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Daughter, a Sister, an Author, a Friend to many and a Student. And I love being each and every one of them.
Thursday 4 March 2010
My Life Depends on You
BPOV

The alarm clock buzzed, signalling that it had reached 11oclock. I grumbled and rubbed my eyes sleepily, trying to remember the green eyes and copper locks of silky hair that had dominated my dreams, but I couldn’t.

I reluctantly got out of my bed and trudged down the hallway towards the kitchen, a silly smile on my face as I thought about sexy copper head man and the way he spoke to me yesterday. He didn’t want me to hide from him, so last night I told myself I wasn’t going to. I planned on spending most of my free time on the stairs outside, and speak to him whenever I got the chance to.

The smile soon disappeared form my face as soon as I stepped foot into the living room, bowl of cereal in hand. Rosalie’s long curvaceous body was standing in front of the TV, gracing the room with her attempts at trying to copy the yoga steps that were being shown. Phil and Renee were cuddled up on the sofa, her giggling at his murmured words.

It was a picture of perfect happiness, which became tainted as soon as I entered it.

Rosalie’s copied movements from the television were no longer calm and graceful, but more forceful, as if she was releasing pent up stress through her stretches. She glanced at me over her shoulder and scrunched up her nose in disgust before turning back to her show. Mother and Phil were still cuddled up together; he was still murmuring shit to her but their bodies were stiff and awkward. She was no longer giggling at his words, but had a strained smile on her face which looked more like a grimace as they both avoided eye contact with me.

My pulse quickened in my chest, and my heart forced its ice cold beats out stronger, as if reminding me that I no longer held emotion towards them. Every morning I used to come in this room knowing full well that I was ruining their perfect lives, and duck my head in shame, munching quietly on my cereal constantly swimming in waves of guilt.

I was warm blooded then.

I marched in the room, uncaring and head held high, as I sat at the table, placing my bowl on it louder than really necessary. As I chewed I heard Mother and Phil’s conversation.

“Baby I think I screwed up with them yesterday. They didn’t look happy” He whispered, and I didn’t fail to notice how his eyes flitted nervously to the clock on the wall above the TV

11:28

Renee shrugged “Just work your way out of it. I’m sure you’ll figure something out”
Phil hummed and nuzzled into her neck.
“I think you should stay at home today” I heard him whine, with another glance at the clock before I turned unable to watch anymore.

“Jesus Bella, could you move your fat ass out of the way of the window? You’re blocking the light” Rosalie grunted, bending over touching the floor with her fingers imitating the figure on the TV.

I cocked an eyebrow before muttering in a cold voice “I’m not the one with the fat ass around here”
Rosalie shot up and spun at me, Renee sat up and glared at me, and Phil just carried on darting his eyes from the front door to the clock on the wall and back again.
“I dare you to say that again bitch” Rosalie spat at me; her hands firmly on her hips and her long blood red nails digging into her skin. I smirked at her and returned to eating my cereal when I heard my mothers soothing voice fill the air.

“Oh, Rosalie, you have a perfect figure honey, you know that” she cooed as if talking to a baby, and I snorted loudly at her words. She snapped her head in my direction and narrowed her eyes at me.

“Why don’t you go make yourself useful, move your own ass and get some fucking food? Money’s in the kitchen” she dismissed me menacingly, her eyes shining with hatred and fury.

Some mother huh?

I pushed away from my chair and stomped to the bathroom, washing my face and brushing my teeth furiously before putting my hair up in a sloppy ponytail and walking to my room. I threw on a simple pair of jeans and a black hoodie, slipped on some shoes and made my way back to the kitchen. When I peered into the living room they had resumed their ‘picture of perfect happiness’ shit. Renee was back to giggling like a school girl wrapped up in Phil’s arms. Rosalie stood facing them and laughed along with them, the room radiating a sickening wave of love and happiness that hadn’t included me for so many years.

I swallowed back the bile that rose up in my throat, unable to determine the feelings that clouded inside of me as I watched the three of them.

It was nothing new. They always looked happy without me, but watching them now, there was an undercurrent of something dark looming over them. Squinting my eyes and looking more closely at them I followed Phil’s line of sight which was now glued to the clock.

11:49

His knee was bouncing up and down nervously, and his fingers were fiddling with the arm of the couch.

It was the calm before the storm.

I grabbed the money off the island and burst the happy bubble that they were in, brushing past them and pushing Rosalie out of my way in the process before throwing open the front door. My eyes immediately wondered to his door. I wondered if he was at home or at work. I wondered what he worked as, what movies he liked, what music he listened to, who his friends were, what he liked to do to just chill out.

I wanted to know everything. And I planned on finding out.

“Bella?”

I spun around and my eyes widened in shock at the glorious figure in front of me, greedily drinking in the sight of him. He was wearing dark jeans that fitted him perfectly, his silver belt buckle poking out over his black button down shirt. The cuffs were rolled up his arms and his two top buttons were undone. He was rubbing the back of his neck with one hand and the other stuffed firmly in his jeans pocket. He was staring at me intensely, his head cocked to the side slightly and the swirling green of his eyes alight with curiosity and some undercurrent of some emotion that I couldn’t quite distinguish. I gazed back at him lost in his stare and released a shaky breath, my icy heart beating rapidly in my chest. My thoughts a few seconds ago about wanting to get to know him came back to me, and I contemplated on how to start a conversation before becoming completely shocked with what I ended up blurting out.

“I’m going grocery shopping, you want something?”

My eyes widened as I heard my own words hang in the air, and I cringed as his face took on a shocked expression, waiting for his refusal. I bit my lip as his brows furrowed and he dropped his gaze to the ground.

“Uh...I...Thanks Bella but uh...” he trailed off, lost for words and my shoulders slumped, dropping my own head to the floor awkwardly. I was expecting him to say no but actually hearing it from his velvet voice somehow made it worse, and I quickly tried to make out it was nothing.

“Don’t worry, I mean I understand, I was just...uh...I was going anyway and thought I’d ask” I mumbled quietly under my breath, the tone of disappointment plainly evident even to my ears. I bit my lip and glared at the floor nervously, afraid to meet his stare.

I heard a quiet groan and then a loud dejected sigh pass through his lips.

“Sure” he muttered “why not”

My head snapped up to his face, not sure I had heard him correctly.

“What?” I asked breathlessly, eyebrows raised, fingers crossed and my expression one hundred percent hopeful.

He ran his hand through his messy copper hair and sighed again, squinting at me with his brows pulled together in concentration.

“I’ll just uh, have some milk. Thanks” he mumbled

I let out a shocked gust of air and a large victorious grin spread across my face, my stomach flipping with excitement at his acceptance. His soft jade eyes met mine and a small smile graced his soft lips before he chuckled lightly and ran his hand through his hair again, my fingers twitched with envy. I wanted to be that damn hand.

“So uh, I’m pretty sure the shop is downstairs and not outside my door” he smiled, his eyes shining with amusement whilst gazing into mine causing my breath to hitch slightly.

I grinned back at him and nodded enthusiastically “Yeah I mean no you’re right it’s definitely umm downstairs...not by your door...of course not” I mumbled, blushing nervously and a bit embarrassed with my sudden enthusiasm. He breathed a quit laugh and I smiled back at him in apology before stepping around him and turning around so I could face him before I left.

“I’ll be like ten minutes” I raised my eyebrows silently asking if that was alright. He replied with a small nod and I grinned back widely, walking backwards, quickening my pace only to trip over my own feet and stumbling backwards, flailing my arms out behind me to brace myself for the fall. I landed on my ass with a huff and saw sexy copper-head man looking at me in shock, his eyes wide and his brows were raised almost reaching his hairline.

“Are you alright?” he asked in his warm silky voice, slight concern in his tone. His body was leaning towards me as if he wanted to help but something was holding him back. I picked myself up off the floor and brushed my ass off, blushing and smiling sheepishly, looking at him through my lashes. “Yeah I’m fine thanks. I’ll just uh...” I trailed off and jerked my thumb over my shoulder before turning away and treading carefully to where the elevator was. Just as the metal doors slid open his voice sounded down the hall and hugged my ears.

“Oh and Bella?”

I whirled around at the last moment; my knees somewhat weak at the sound of my name falling from his lips. His apartment door was open now and he was leaning casually against the frame, arms folded over his chest and an uneven sexy smirk on his face,

“Be careful” he said; a glint of mischievousness in his eyes and his smirk turned up into a crooked grin that literally caused my heart to stop before stuttering back to life. He pushed himself off the frame and closed his door softly whilst I just stared at where he was standing. A rising urge to squeal like a lovesick teenager was swelling my chest, but I pushed it away and walked into the elevator, settling for a happy grin instead.

As the lift was making its way to the ground floor, my grin was slowly dissipating as a feeling of unease spread through me. I put it down to feeling nervous about finally speaking to sexy copper-head man once I gave him his milk. Hopefully I’d be able to say more than a few sentences to him before Renee heard me and dragged me back inside.

The lift doors slid open and I glanced at the clock, unthinkingly making a note of the time as I exited the building.

11:58

I turned down the street and made my way to the small corner shop at the end of the road, my eyes flitting out at the road nervously, unable to shed that sense of uneasiness which was increasing with every step. A long black car crawled past me and I faintly made out pale skin and black hair through the lightly tinted windows and was immediately reminded of Aro from yesterday, how his voice made me shudder. I cringed at the memory and quickened my pace.

The shop sign became visible and I breathed a sigh of relief as the shop loomed closer. I hugged my chest as a chill passed through me and I shivered, pushing the shop door open. The familiar man behind the counter greeted me with a nod and smile and I gave a small smile in response before walking to where the milk was, running my finger over the various cartons until I reached the right one and picked up two of them. I continued walking down the various aisles picking up the usual things we’d need: Bread, cereal, cheese, ham slices, peanut butter and jelly ‘cause Phil loved that shit.

By the time I was finished, my arms were full and heavy with all the items I needed to get, the level of uneasiness that was in my system was staggering. I felt nauseous. I walked over to the counter, bagging the items and paying him whilst swallowing the bile that was rising up my throat. I felt like heaving but it was different from when I usually had a stomach bug.

This shit was unnerving, my palms were sweaty and my heart was thudding in my chest, my breathing was strained and I was feeling faint. Someone walked in the shop, the outside wind bursting through the door and clearing my senses. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and picked up the bags, exiting the shop with a barely whispered thank you. I took small slow steps back towards the apartment building, the uneasiness rising and turning to sheer panic causing me to stagger slightly. As I neared closer I noticed the same small black car parked outside the building and I frowned. I’d never seen it before and only residents usually parked there. As I reached the car I squinted at the windows, but the car seemed to be empty so I shrugged and entered the building, my eyes once again falling on the clock. The hands on it looked larger than when I glanced at it beforehand. The pointed ends sharp and screaming the time at me darkly.

12:15

The halls looked gloomy and quiet as I silently treaded to the elevator and pushed the button. The ding that accompanied the sliding doors echoed eerily and I entered it timidly, pressing the button for my floor and darting my eyes around nervously, biting my lip. As the steel doors slowly slid shut enveloping me in the small space, my heart rate quickened, forcing the cool blood to circulate through my body at double the speed than usual. My breathing was laboured and stuttering as the lift steadily jutted upwards. A wave of unexplainable sheer terror spread through me as the elevator came to a standstill and the doors grated open, the high pitched chime ringing in my ears.

I stood still, glaring at the hallway floor, too scared to walk onto it and I had no reason why this was. After taking a few deep breaths and counting in my head, I gripped the bags tighter and stepped out of the elevator, turning to walk down the hall. My heart stopped.

I locked eyes with the tall burly man standing outside my front door, gun in hand, seeming to be guarding the space. He looked back at me and narrowed his eyes in question as I slowly stepped closer to the door of my apartment. The nauseating rusty smell of blood hit my nose and my head whirled, I could feel my body sway but I kept on walking. That low, sinister and ghostly familiar voice came next.

“Make sure they’re all fucking dead, and carry on tossing the apartment. The cops will be here soon and we can’t afford for them to get suspicious on our asses so hurry the fuck up!”

Aro.

I could hear that he was thankfully in the living room and not the hallway. I ducked my head, feeling the intense stare of the guy standing outside my door and let my hair cover my face. The smell of blood got stronger the closer I got and as my eyes reached the door I was surprised my legs hadn’t buckled.

Phil lay on the floor face down, so close to reaching outside our door. His back was covered in blood which had spread on the floor and was slowly pooling towards the outer hall. I heard the clattering noise of cutlery being smashed and desks being thrown from inside, along with Aro’s voice which seemed to be getting closer. My legs carried on moving, past the door, past the blood and past Phil. My heart was racing, even quicker now and my eyes were wide as I stopped outside sexy copper-head man’s door, knocking quietly, desperate not to draw attention to myself.

Nothing.

I knocked again, louder this time and more desperate as I heard Aro’s voice gliding closer to my ears. I knew if he saw me I was dead, just like the rest of them, there was no chance of him leaving me alive.

“Please open the door” I whispered, closing my eyes and silently praying that the door opened. I knocked again and waited murmuring to myself over and over

Dear god please let him open the door


I held my breath and waited for the next few seconds, registering the most prominent fact of the situation in my mind. Aro was approaching the front door, and in five seconds I was either going to be safe, and alive in a small apartment or I was going to have a bullet right between my fucking eyes, joining Phil’s body on the floor, lying in a pool of my own blood.

And it all depended on my next door neighbour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment