Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Daughter, a Sister, an Author, a Friend to many and a Student. And I love being each and every one of them.
Thursday 4 March 2010



Conflicted Minds & A Rash Decision part 2.

EPOV

I should have known Carlisle would have gotten suspicious as soon as he heard gunshots. I was surprised he hadn’t mentioned the much louder shots from the shotgun in which Aro had used to blast through Bella’s apartment door yesterday, but I’m sure he could tell the difference between my apartment and anybody else’s.

But now, I was in an even greater problem. It was evident that, for some unfathomable reason, I was not yet willing to let Bella die. Every time I was sure I came up with the perfect answer, something would happen which put her life in danger and caused an unknown, and very unwelcome part of me to run and save her, and yet, as foreign as this feeling was to me, every time I did save her life, I felt less guilty, and more relieved.

I stared at the small screen on my cell which held the words of Carlisle’s texts. Like me, I knew he would be taking the stairs, which gave me approximately five minutes to figure out what I was going to do. Trying to prevent Carlisle from entering the apartment would be a futile attempt. He would be coming inside whether I liked it or not, and hiding Bella would only cause more suspicion for when he found her, which is something I knew he would do, whether it be from his own intellect or if I became so uptight and panicked about his presence that I would pretty much crack and present her to him on a silver platter.

I glanced at the watch on my wrist and ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

Fuck. One minute had passed already.

And now I had to ask myself, and seriously ask myself, what the fuck it was that I wanted, because that was the main reason why I was still standing here, phone in hand and me frowning at the screen whilst the precious seconds ticked by. After Bella’s stunt with the gun, I was now having an internal battle with myself as to what to do. After knowing how much of a danger she was to herself, would I be able to force her to leave without pursuing her shortly after and ensuring her safety?

Yes. No...Fuck I don’t know.

What I did know was that I wouldn’t be able to make a rational decision in...three minutes and forty seven seconds.

Shit.

I ran into the kitchen and noticed Bella was no longer on the floor but sitting at the table, her shoulders slumped and her eyes distant as she unseeingly gazed at the kitchen floor.

“Bella, get your sh- I mean your stuff. I need you to do something for me.”
I spoke firmly to her as I gathered up my guns and ammo, placing them in their allotted places in the small briefcase. I quickly glanced up at her but she seemed to be in a daze.

“Bella,” I repeated, walking over to her and folding my arms. She still didn’t seem to acknowledge my presence. I sighed and clenched my jaw, we had little time and I needed her to stay focused. I crouched down and grasped her shoulders softly.

“Bella, I need you to listen to me,” I spoke quietly, hoping to ease her out of whatever goddamn trance she was in. I saw the glaze in her eyes lessen fractionally, but it still wasn’t enough to bring her back to the present.
“Damn it Bella! Listen!” I growled, tightening my grip on her shoulders and she snapped her head up, her eyes finally fixing onto mine and widening as she stared back at me.

“Hi,” she breathed as her face coloured a soft pink, and in the emergency of the whole situation I still had to stifle a groan at the sight.

“Bella, you have less than two minutes to get your things together, no questions and no discussion. I need you to do it. Now!”

She stared at me silently, her mouth in the shape of a little ‘O’ and her brows furrowed in confusion. I narrowed my eyes at her, a silent reminder that there was hardly any fucking time and she quickly nodded, rising from the chair and disappearing from the kitchen. I stood, running a hand through my hair and glancing at the watch on my wrist.

Two minutes and thirty six seconds.

Shit.

Thankfully Bella reappeared within seconds with a black backpack over her shoulders. I nodded and held her elbow, guiding her to the front door hurriedly.

“Where are we goi-“

Once we reached the front door I spun her quickly facing me and ducked my head to meet bewildered gaze.

“Listen Bella, when this door opens, I need you to get into the elevator, and once you reach the ground floor, stay in the building.” I instructed her, emphasizing that she stay put once she left the elevator. I had put too much damn effort into saving her life, and seeing as the more judicious part of my brain which, knew it would be best for her disappear in the first place, wasn’t particularly interested in making an appearance, I didn’t feel like losing her any time soon.

“Someone is coming up to see me and you can’t be here. I will come get you afterwards and we’ll leave.” I continued but she started shaking her head at me, trying to escape the firm grip I had on her arm.

“This is just a ploy isn’t it? You won’t come,” she cried

“Bella!” I growled, losing my temper because there really just wasn’t enough fucking time. “If I was going to leave without you, it would be pretty nonsensical for me to send you to the same floor I would have to go to escape myself, don’t you think?”

Her eyes widened at the sharp tone in my voice and she drew her bottom lip between her teeth as her eyes lowered to the floor and she nodded slowly. I opened the front door a crack, making sure the hallway was clear.

“Remember, do not leave the building, and stay out of sight, Okay?” I asked in a rushed whisper, nudging her out of the door. My nerves were taut and strained as I watched her briskly walk down the hallway and press the button for the elevator, her stance awkward and shoulders hunched as her head warily turned from left to right.

I exhaled a sigh of relief when I saw her frail body disappear into the elevator and heard the grate of the doors closing. I decided to take a deep breath and lean against my door frame casually as I awaited Carlisle’s arrival.

A few seconds later, I heard the rhythmic steps of Carlisle echoing through the halls as he climbed the last flight of stairs. I could feel the nervousness creeping back with every rapidly mounting beat of my heart and I willed myself to calm the fuck out, knowing Carlisle would be able to detect the subtle differences in my behaviour from a damn mile off.

“I can tell when you’re nervous Edward; you need to cut that shit out if you want to survive in this world, son.”

A flash of blonde hair, and cool blue eyes caught my attention, and within seconds Carlisle was standing in front of me.

“Carlisle, I got your text,” I greeted him, my voice somewhat calm.

He hummed and looked over at the open doorway to Bella’s apartment.
“What happened here?” he enquired, his voice laced with curiosity as he stepped closer to the limp yellow duct tape and crouched to examine the dried in blood where Bella’s step father had lay.

“Aro,” I muttered dryly, not needing to say anything further. Just the name was enough of an explanation.

Carlisle snapped his head towards me, and raised one of his thick brows.
“Aro? Here? Whatever for?”

I stiffly kept eye contact with him, hoping my inner panic wasn’t being portrayed to him as I shrugged seemingly indifferent to the situation.

“Some drug holding went wrong, from what I gathered. The FBI was just here, I’m sure they were the gunshots you heard,” I said attempting nonchalance.

Dear god please fucking believe me

Carlisle continued to stare at me appraisingly, his eyes narrowing infinitesimally in suspicion and his head tilted at an angle.

“So...” I choked roughly and cleared my throat; I averted my gaze to the hallway hoping that Bella had listened to my earlier instructions.
 “How’s Emmett and Jasper, I haven’t seen them in a while. I’ll have to stop by,” I chuckled lightly and rubbed the back of my neck before slowly dragging my eyes back to Carlisle’s.

Shit. He wasn’t just suspicious anymore. He looked amused.

“They’re just fine Edward, they were asking about you today. I was going to stop by anyway. Hope I wasn’t interrupting...anything?”

I felt the panic rise within me at his calm facade. Carlisle was most intimidating when he was calm and, whilst I hadn’t witnessed it before, I had heard that he could get even the toughest bastard to confess the darkest shit just with a look, and with the look he was giving me at the moment it was a statement I now sincerely believed.

“Let’s go inside shall we?” he spoke softly, his blue eyes still shining with inquisitive amusement as he brushed past me and into the apartment. I dropped my head, stifling a groan but allowed a heavy breath to whoosh out of my lungs as I silently congratulated myself on my current survival under pressure.

My thoughts drifted back to Bella of their own volition, and I couldn’t help feeling anxious about getting her back within my presence. There had been a dormant ache that flared to life as soon as the metallic silver doors closed her away from my view, and thoughts of her safety had constantly been churning in the back of my mind ever since. When I announced that it had been Aro that had caused the mess next door, a plan had began to form in my mind on how to get Bella and I out of this mess,

And fuck, yes I did just say Bella and I.

Although I knew that it wouldn’t completely solve the situation, it would only be able to postpone the imminent confrontation that would happen with Carlisle regarding her being here.

The sound of Carlisle loudly pushing out one of the chairs in the kitchen to sit on snapped me back to situation at hand. I could just imagine what his stance would be like; elbows on the table, fingers clasped tightly together holding up his chin and his gaze fiercely watching my every move.

With one last deep breath, I turned around and entered my apartment, shutting the door behind me and releasing a soft, weary sigh.

Time for round two.










0 comments:

Post a Comment