Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Daughter, a Sister, an Author, a Friend to many and a Student. And I love being each and every one of them.
Thursday 4 March 2010
Irrational Jealousy

EPOV

When I entered the kitchen, my previous assumption had been correct. Carlisle was seated at the kitchen table with his elbows resting on the surface, and his hands fisted to accommodate his chin.

I sat down opposite him and ran my hands tightly through my hair, gripping it roughly in my fingers, desperately trying to think about how to ease in the subject of my previous thoughts.

“Edward you seem to be on the edge about something...is everything alright?” Carlisle asked, his eyes no longer looked suspicious, or amused but lightly concerned. I decided that this was the best opportunity than any.

“I don’t like the fact that Aro is aware of my residence” I stated simply, praying he picked up on the bait.

“He saw you?” he asked, furrowing his brows and tilting his head questioningly.

I nodded and gazed at him, he seemed to be lost in his own thoughts, his brows still pulled together and his head bowed downwards.
“Did he say anything?” he murmured quietly into the space distractedly.

“No, but he did give me some kind of fucking look,” I muttered dryly desperately trying to keep up this bored, uncaring front without snapping. As every minute ticked by, Bella was coming closer and closer to the forefront of my mind. It wasn’t until Carlisle frowned at me and cocked an eyebrow that I realized I was bouncing my knee furiously, still running my hand through my hair, obviously fucking impatient to get back to Bella.

I stopped mid bounce and rested my palms on the table frowning down at my fingers.

“I think it best if I moved,” I spoke slowly, gauging his reaction closely, “Just in case,” I threw in for added measure.

“Move?” he snapped his head up at me, his face one of bewilderment for a few seconds, before a brief flash of suspicion flared in his eyes. I kept eye contact, but I could feel the obvious rise in my heart rate as his eyes continued to pierce through me. I was desperate to avert my gaze, almost squirming away from the power of his intense stare but if I looked away I knew that that would be pretty much revealing everything on the damn spot.

Carlisle’s lips twitched up into a knowing smirk and I furrowed my brows warily at him, wondering what the hell he seemed to find so amusing.


“If you think that is best...” he spoke calmly, his voice unwavering in the slightest and I stared at him wide eyed, stunned that he would agree so quickly. My shock suddenly turned into one of skepticism and I cocked a brow at him. I knew Carlisle would never approve of me moving home so easily. He liked me living above him, knew I was close for him to reach. I also knew it was for supervision reasons also. Carlisle preferred to know what I was doing. As much as I was sure he loved me like his own son, he was wary and suspicious of pretty much everything and everyone.

It came with the job.

“I… do,” I confirmed with a slow nod, watching him closely for any reactions but finding none. He wasn’t even looking at me anymore, his gaze instead was securely fixed to the kitchen floor, his brows furrowing and his eyes narrowing almost angrily.

I followed his gaze warily and had to desperately withhold the gasp that was threatening to rip from my chest.

Fuck

“…Edward?” his voice was low, and curious.

“…yeah?” I rasped, knowing what the question would be, but frantically trying to maintain the tiny façade of calm that was rapidly slipping away from my grip.

“Why is there a bullet firmly lodged in your kitchen floor, son?”

I exhaled a choppy, whooshing breath trying to come up with a quick response but finding none. If Carlisle hadn’t known me so well I would have claimed that I was being careless.

But he did. He knew me too well. I was never clumsy with my guns.

Ever.

I started mumbling, muttering complete and utter bullshit whilst my mind worked overdrive, hysterically attempting to find a plausible excuse for the fucking mess that Bella had created once her hands wrapped around my goddamn gun, but the thought of her name brought me back to the realization that she was, hopefully, still downstairs. I felt panic surge through me and ended up sighing heavily because Christ, all I wanted to do was to make sure she was still alive.

Since when did someone else’s safety overrule my own? Fuck

Carlisle lifted his head to look up at me, his eyes still narrowed, and I just stared back because I couldn’t think of anything.

After a while he sighed heavily and arched his brows, giving me a look that quite plainly said I’ll let this shit go for now, with extra emphasis on the “For now.” Shit.

“Let’s talk about jobs,” He spoke firmly and I sighed in relief nodding slowly.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small Polaroid picture of a middle aged man, he had greasy blond hair tied up into a ponytail at the nape of his neck and a sinister smirk on his lips as he looked off to the left. He slid it across the table and I grasped it softly, my eyes taking in his features slowly, burning him into my memory like I did with all my clients.

“This fucker has been an asshole to try and track down. He’s always on the run, fucking around with our friends’ business before moving onto the next city,” He spoke low, his voice laced with frustration as he continued to inform me of the whereabouts of this man in the photo.

“So what’s his name?” I asked once Carlisle stopped speaking.

“Well” he sighed, “He’s been known to have fucking countless names, and always only one. Never a surname or any shit like that. At the moment, he’s going by a James.”

I furrowed my brow and nodded, chucking the extra bit of information into the imaginary file in my head.

“I heard,” Carlisle continued, “that he will be residing in a building about twelve blocks from here tomorrow at 3pm. Are you free at 3pm tomorrow Edward?”

I looked up at Carlisle and frowned thoughtfully. He asked the same question with every job I had, and I had always agreed, because I always knew I would be free. But now? Now I had a girl downstairs who I had to take into consideration.

For the first time, I actually had to think about my answer.

I could see this fact had also shocked Carlisle as he was staring at me with his brows raised and his eyes wide. I would have answered without hesitation by now.

I sighed and nodded begrudgingly, because I knew me saying no would only cause more suspicion, and it was bad enough that I was already claiming my desire to get a different apartment. Granted he had taken that shit lightly, but refusing a job would never go down quite as well.

“Yeah. I’m free at 3pm tomorrow.”

Carlisle sighed and nodded his head. A breeze flew in through the kitchen window and we both glanced at my plant sitting on the windowsill; its leaves gently rustling against each other in a silent battle to gain the most sunlight and flourish.

I heard him chuckle silently to himself as he appraised the plant with amusement in his eyes. He never could understand my close interest with it, never realized just how similar me and the small potted object relishing in the warm breeze actually were.

Not many people did.

“Well…I should go. It seems everything is in…order,” he said slowly, his eyes flickering back to the bullet in the kitchen floor suspiciously.

I cleared my throat and stood up, running my hand through my hair trying to control my anxiousness to find Bella as to not rouse Carlisle into an even higher bout of suspicion. He stood up as well and I saw his eyes fix onto something else on the floor underneath my chair, his eyes narrowed once again and his lips pressed into a firm line, before he sighed and shook his head slightly, continuing to walk out of the kitchen and into the hallway.

I watched him curiously and decided to follow him into the hallway rather than lingering. He opened the front door and stepped out before turning around and facing me.

“You should come down later Edward. I do believe Jasper will be there with Alice,” Carlisle spoke softly, but his eyes seemed to be studying me closely.

“Yeah, I will Carlisle. I haven’t seen him in a couple of days.”

Carlisle chuckled and nodded his head.
“He’s no different, still smoking heavily” he replied dryly

“Disgusting habit” I muttered mostly to myself and Carlisle hummed thoughtfully, his brows furrowed at me and his eyes flashing with intense curiosity and amusement at my words.

“Is that so…” he murmured and tilted his head at me. I furrowed my brows at him, unsure of where exactly he was going with this, but he just laughed and nodded to himself as if confirming something.

“Remember Edward, 3pm tomorrow afternoon.”

I nodded and he turned around, walking briskly towards the stairs grumbling under his breath about something which I couldn’t quite distinguish.

I sighed and rubbed my face in relief as I made my way back into my apartment. I trudged back into the kitchen and froze when my eyes locked onto the small object situated underneath the wooden chair I had been sitting on when Carlisle and I had been talking. I groaned loudly in irritation, now understanding his behavior earlier.

Because there, lying crumpled and clearly noticeable, was Bella’s empty cigarette box.

Fucking cigarettes.

 I growled and picked it up, throwing it in the trash firmly and furiously tugged at my hair as I gathered up all my ammo and firearms. I gently lifted my plant from the kitchen windowsill and shut the window peering out of it before closing the frail curtain.

I proceeded to gather the important things which I knew I would need for tomorrow, knowing that we would just be checking into a hotel for now, and grabbed my coat last; Bella now being at the forefront of my mind and my body almost aching to discover her presence, and know that she was still safe.

I shut my apartment door solidly, locking it before walking towards the stairs, my legs almost flying down them, knowing that each step brought me closer to the brown eyes and mahogany hair and frail, slim figure.

I felt my chest expanding almost painfully as I reached the last flight.

Closer, closer

And then finally, finally my feet collided lightly with the stone of the ground floor and a large breath escaped me when my eyes came into contact with her form, leaning up against the wall casually and her arms folded against her chest, her head bowed slightly and her bottom lip stuck firmly between her teeth. Her dark locks of hair flowing down her shoulder and against the subtle outlines of her collar bones.

Her small pale face lifted slowly, her eyes immediately meeting mine and I saw the relief flash in them as her lips turned up into a soft smile.

I couldn’t help it. I smiled the fuck back.

“So, who was the hot blonde dude with the fierce expression?” she asked nonchalantly, and my smile almost immediately dissipated, a flash of anger and light irritation surging through me at her words.

“My trainer slash father figure,” I grumbled walking over to her and stuffing the plant into her arms. “Don’t drop the plant,” I warned and she quirked a brow at me, but nodded nonetheless.

“So… where are we going?”

“A hotel,” I muttered, my face still contorted at her description of Carlisle. Did she really think he was hot? Christ, he was old enough to be her father. Did she like that type of thing?

Why the fuck do I care?

I opened the door and poked my head out; making sure no one was lingering outside of Carlisle’s shop. When the coast was clear I opened the door further and ushered her out, directing her in the opposite direction of his shop and put my coat on, pulling the collars up around my neck and slipping on my Ray Bans as my eyes flashed around me warily.

I proceeded to walk quickly towards the nearest hotel, sighing when I noticed Bella struggling to keep up. I slowed down and waited till she was walking beside me but she still continued to sometimes stumble, causing me to have to reach out and steady her on more than one occasion. I couldn’t help but sigh gently as the warmth of her skin burned through my fingers every time I reached out to her.

“Are you okay?” she asked at one point, and I gave her a curt nod in reply, my eyes still snapping to different directions, constantly keeping a look out for any suspicious lurking vehicles, not only to make sure no one followed us, but to distract myself from the unfamiliar emotion I could feel twisting in my chest, and constricting in my throat.

The emotion, which, only got stronger and more powerful every time I heard Bella’s words regarding Carlisle, on repeat in my mind. The more I thought about it I could feel the blood pressure rising, a red haze filling my vision.

And I knew it was ridiculous, completely irrational, and yet the emotion was still there, throbbing unpleasantly within me.


Fuck. I was jealous.










0 comments:

Post a Comment