Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Daughter, a Sister, an Author, a Friend to many and a Student. And I love being each and every one of them.
Thursday 4 March 2010
Prologue
EPOV

I knew this was it. I had done everything in my power. Used all of my best techniques, all of my ammo, all of my grenades, knives and guns.

All of my strength

I wouldn’t make this out alive. Three months ago I wouldn’t have given a fuck.
Sure I’d miss Carlisle, he was like a father to me, and sure I’d miss Emmet and Jasper, they were like brothers to me. I’d miss my job, the kills the thrills. I’d miss my fucking plant. But I still wouldn’t give a fuck.

Three months ago my life had no value, no purpose and no chance of a normal future.
Three months ago I lived the same routine day in, day out. I spent my days killing the soulless bastards I was told to and my nights sleeping in a chair with one eye open and a gun in my lap.

Three months ago I was Edward Masen: Hitman, with only one rule when it came to my work.

No women, no kids.

Three months ago Bella Swan hadn’t been in my life, she was just a next door neighbour with a loud mouthed, cocky prick for a stepfather and a carefree, selfish bitch for a mother who didn’t give a shit about her, and, as far as I was concerned, neither did I.

No women, no kids.

That was three months ago. This is now.

The sound of the front door finally caving from the incessant kicking and the loud voices of heavily armed men travelling down the hallway and towards us brought me out of my thoughts. I wiped the sweat and dried blood from my forehead, wincing at the throbbing pain from the gun wound in my left shoulder. I’d have to deal with that later. My eyes roamed the small space around us, and spotted the table cloth rumpled and screwed up next to the overturned table in the far corner of the room. Taking care to put most of my weight on my right arm, I crawled over to the cloth, and tore it in half with my arm and teeth before wrapping my plant in it securely.

I really would miss the damn thing.

“Edward” she whimpered, sniffling and gasping and sobbing and I made my way back to her, ignoring her cries of my name and her pleas as I stuffed the wrapped plant in her hands and placed her in the small vent opening that would lead to the back of the building.

“Edward will you fucking look at me!” she cried, I could see her tears landing on my hands as I kept my eyes anywhere but from her face. But I had to look now, I had to see those deep brown eyes if it was the last thing that killed me. I clenched my jaw, squeezed my eyes shut and lifted my head up toward her. I heard the dining room door being kicked open, followed by the guest bedroom door being kicked open. They were getting close. I had to open my eyes. It was now or never.


I pushed away the lump that was quickly rising in my throat, and finally opened my eyes. They zeroed in on her full red pouty lips, and flashes of me kissing those very lips flooded my mind, the warmth and softness of them, I lifted my gaze slightly to her cheeks and nose, and flashes of me peppering light teasing kisses on those and cheeks and that button nose flooded my mind before I forced my gaze higher, and locked with those eyes. The eyes that I spent helpless amounts of time getting lost in, those eyes that before had shown so much love, happiness, amusement and determination, now only showed pain.

Gut wrenching, stomach churning, heart breaking pain.

The men were in the next room now. This was their final destination.

“Bella. The vent. Go. Now” I jerked my chin towards the vent behind her and made work of prying her fingers off the edge one by one

“No” she whispered, her head shaking with her words causing the cascade of mahogany brown hair to fall over shoulder and brush against my arm, the faint whiff of her strawberry shampoo filling my senses.

“Edward I’m not going, not without you, I’m not leaving you” she said firmly, her voice slightly shaking at the end, and her eyes welling up again with unshed tears.

I successfully pried her right pinky, fourth and middle finger from the edge of the vent and her body shifted slightly making her gasp and look down at her fingers before returning her gaze to me

“Edward, please” she said breathlessly, the silent tears streaming down her face. I sighed

“Bella please, give me one hour okay? You know me, I’m the best. These fuckers don’t know what’s hit them. Please Bella. I need you to be safe right now. Go to Carlisle’s and wait for me there Okay?” I pleaded with her, my words quick and sharp as I watched her face twist in pain at my words. We both knew what was coming.

I may be the best but I’m not that good.

“Edward please don’t do this. Please, I need you to be safe too, just come down the vent with me; we can go to Carlisle’s together” She tried to grasp the edge of the vent with the hand that I had managed to pry away but I stopped her, causing her frame to shift further down the vent away from me.

She looked down before her eyes darted to the door of our room. She could hear that they were close as well, and her eyes flashed with determination

“If you’re staying than I am too” she vowed strongly, and attempted once again to get a grip of the edge of the vent and pull herself upwards, and I stopped her again.

“Bella, I’ll be fine okay? One hour.  Go to Carlisle’s, wait for me there, I’ll pack up my shit and we’ll go somewhere, anywhere, away from this fucking place together just you and me. No more guns, no more jobs, no more killing just you and me okay? Just please Bella, please” I whispered, closing my eyes and consistently trying to will away the pain from my voice as I lied to her.  I concentrated on peeling away the fingers of her other hand that were gripping for dear life and once again ignoring her pleas and sobs.

I peeled off her thumb and held both her hands in mine to stop her from falling straight away. She had no grip on the vent now, and it was only my grasp that was keeping her here with me, and her sobs got louder as she realized this. Her eyes were transfixed to my own silently pleading with me to keep her here, but I couldn’t.

“Carlisle. One hour.” I reminded her as I let go of one of her hands and her body shifted further away from me, her lower half almost disappearing from sight. She cried out and her eyes blazed into mine. The pain in them growing tenfold before they went blank and her body slumped.

Acceptance. Defeat.

My grip on her other hand loosened slightly and her eyes continued to bore into my own, still blank and defeated. I knew it was time to let go, she knew I was going to let go.

“I love you Edward” she breathed through unmoving lips, and her blank eyes suddenly flared with an emotion I hadn’t seen before, strong and blazing before disappearing just as quick, and as my lips parted to respond to her words with my own, she let go.

She let go.

The darkness consumed her upper body, shoulders, neck, hair, chin, lips, and lastly her eyes as she fell silently away from me. I squeezed my eyes shut, clenched my jaw into fists and turned towards the door, awaiting their arrival as the never ending image of the pain in her eyes was etched into my brain.

At last the door kicked open, and the sound of footsteps clouded my ears. I took a deep breath and allowed the words to flow freely in my mind

I love you too Isabella

0 comments:

Post a Comment