Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Daughter, a Sister, an Author, a Friend to many and a Student. And I love being each and every one of them.
Thursday 4 March 2010
Unanswered Questions & A Pending Deal
BPOV

My eyes shot open and I warily eyed the unfamiliar room around me. My nerves started kicking in as I desperately tried to recognize my surroundings; my heart was thudding in my chest and my fingers started to tremble.

And then it all flew back to me, with the force of a wrecking ball. The perfect bubble that I was witnessing in my own apartment, the contentment that had filled my mothers face, as she was snuggled up to Phil, before the air became thicker with my entrance, causing her face to cloud over with irritation.

The constant flicker of Phil’s eyes to the clock as it loomed closer to noon, and the overwhelming sense of unease as I had gone to the shops, the eerie flash of pasty skin against the dark tinted glass of the black vehicle crawling past me, and the gloomy chime of the elevator bell as I stepped onto the worn carpet that led to my apartment. The lone, pale and bloody body of Phil as he had lay lifeless on the floor, so close to freedom before obviously being shot down. I wondered where my mother was when she had her own personal bullet tearing through her flesh, and corrupting her organs as the last bit of life slipped from her body. Again I reached out to embrace the pain, the grief, the memories, anything that reassured me I was still human, and upset that I had lost my mother.

Again I found nothing.

The creaking of leather and heavy laboured breathing brought me back to my present situation.

Edward.

An involuntary smile graced my lips as I thought back to when we were in the hallway, me awkward and blushing, and him gorgeous and curious as he gazed down at me, his clear green eyes, and the amber flecks twinkling back at me. I tentatively slipped from the bed and stumbled over to the curtains, opening them slightly only to be met with a bright light assaulting my eyes. I squinted out the window before rubbing my eyes softly. I was surprised that I had slept till the next morning, but my mouth felt sour, and I felt clammy and uncomfortable from sleeping in my jeans and hooded sweatshirt.

The sound of Edwards heavy breathing grew and I frowned at the direction of the bedroom door. I walked over to it, turning the knob and wincing as it groaned back at me, before releasing the latch and letting the door fall open. A cool breeze lashed at my face along with the sounds of Edwards’s small grunts and the constant creaking of his leather chair. I edged closer, stepping cautiously through the hallway, before I reached the entrance into the living room. I gasped as I was met with, what was in my opinion, a truly breathtaking sight.

 Edward had obviously not acknowledged my presence and continued lifting his topless torso from the floor, his perfectly ripped muscles contracting underneath his pale skin. The leather chair creaked rhythmically from the pressure of his feet placed underneath, straining against the effort of Edwards’s sit-ups.

My lips parted open as I noticed a slight sheen of sweat glistening against the skin of his back and shoulders. His face contorted every time he lifted his upper half and his glorious lips moved gently against each other as if murmuring silent numbers to himself before he laid himself down again; his back flush to the carpet.

I couldn’t help but stare lustily, and my brain couldn’t make up its mind on whether it was thankful he couldn’t see my face, in all its teenage glory, or whether it was upset that I didn’t get to see his full sexy copper head. (not exactly my best addition, but the idea of that nickname in there was what I was going for)

This time as he lifted his chest once again towards his knees, he kept himself there, wrapping his firm arms around his knees. His damp bronze hair in a disarray as small strands clung to his forehead whilst his eyes fluttered closed and his head tilted slightly.

“Morning Isabella” he murmured into the space causing my eyes to widen with the realization that he knew I was present and watching him. I dropped my gaze to the floor as my face flushed and my hair drifted past my shoulders, covering half of my blazing red cheek.

“Hi...I –Uh, I didn’t know you’d seen me” I mumbled foolishly, frowning down at my fumbling fingers. Edward laughed lightly and just the sound alone caused my stomach to warm slightly.

“Of course I knew you were there. Your footsteps are louder than those of a stampede,”

Huh? And I thought I was being quiet

He laughed again gently, almost like he could read my thoughts, and I heard silent movement before I saw two feet planted against the same spot of carpet my eyes were fixated on. I bit my lip as the smell of soap and musty perspiration hit me and I slowly let my eyes travel upward.

I greedily drunk in the sight of his dark jeans clinging to his long lean limbs, before reaching his silver belt buckle, and resting on the washboard perfection of his chest contracting as he breathed heavily, the morning light pouring through the windows and reflecting the glistening sweat that coated his skin. I let out a shaky breath as my eyes wandered over the gentle V of his hips and the subtle dentations of his abs, before I tore them away and rested upon his face.

Oh, his face

I knew the square of his jaw, coated with the gentle stubble and the straight line of his nose, along with the delicate curve of his lips would forever be burned in my brain as sweat trickled down his temple, past his sculpted cheek and glided down his neck. My eyes lazily followed the movement, before dragging back up and meeting the impossibly deep ocean of green that swirled in his eyes.

I smiled sheepishly at him, in silent apology for quite obviously eye fucking him, but his head just tilted, and his brows puckered as he gazed at me curiously. I averted my stare, suddenly afraid of what he must think of me, having my family murdered the day before and showing no signs of resentment or grief, but instead giving off lusty stares like some horny teenager, which, if I was honest was exactly what I had become since I first spotted the sexy, half naked and heavily panting specimen standing before me.

“Bella?” his voice rang in my ears, shocking me from my stupor as I realized that he had been talking the entire time.

“Huh?”

He lifted his brow questioningly, and my eyes darted to his lips as they parted to speak, hungrily watching them brush against each other as they formed syllables and sounds which, for some reason, were not registering with my ears. I carried on studying the full curvature of his lips and each creased line within the soft, stretched red skin.

“Isabella!”

I jerked my eyes back up to his as the sound of my full name brought me out of my daze, and noticed the slight flash of irritation etched on his face.

“I’m sorry what?” I spoke, shaking my head lightly as if willing my brain to function on what he was actually saying and not on the delicious shape of his lips, or his jaw, or his nose, or his eyes...or his hair.

Oh, his hair

The perfect coppery, bronze hair that greedily allowed the morning light to dance off of it, curling in some places, whilst lying temptingly messy and untameable in others, to simply flopping impishly over his arched thick brow.

“Bella,” I heard him sigh wearily, rubbing his face roughly with his hand. “I realize that you’re still somewhat in a state of shock regarding yesterday, but I would appreciate it if you could listen,”

I frowned at his words, I had obviously been too busy ogling him and his perfect form and yet he mistook it as a sign of shock from all that had happened the day before. Surely he noticed the stares he must get from other women? Surely he knew how shockingly good looking he truly was?

I mumbled an apology and gave him a look that said he had my full attention. His lips pouted in a small frown before he sighed again.

“I’m going to take a shower and um...yeah. You can make yourself breakfast from whatever you brought back with you yesterday if you wish.” He said, his brows still pulled over his eyes as he seemed to be avoiding eye contact with me. I nodded and he shuffled past me and down the hall, disappearing almost instantly without making a single sound.

I walked over to the kitchen and looked in the cupboards to remind myself of what I had bought; peanut butter, jelly, milk, butter...but no bread. I frowned, knowing that Edwards’s cupboards were empty before I had stacked them with those things, so I knew he didn’t have any already. I swallowed and stepped in the hallway, eyeing the front door. There was bread back at my apartment.

Plus I needed clothes, I was in desperate need for a shower, and I was sure Edward didn’t have any suitable clothes here for me. It would be perfectly rational for me to go back there; I knew the cops had been at the apartment since yesterday. I had heard loud voices and movements throughout the night. They had obviously been removing the bodies.

The bodies.

My mothers’ body. I closed my eyes waiting for it to happen, for the emotions to surge through me.

Nothing.

Sighing I stepped closer to the front door, letting the faint sound of the running shower reassure me that Edward wouldn’t be able to hear me. I knew I would be there and back before he knew it.

I reached for the brass knob fixed to the wooden door and turned it slowly, closing my eyes I opened the door, forcing myself to walk out of it and take two steps before I opened them again. The yellow tape criss-crossed across the open door frame caught my attention straight away. There was a plain black backpack situated on the floor next to the door which meant there had to be a nearby officer patrolling the area, I stopped and tried to listen for a sign of him but heard nothing.

I looked down and my body locked at the sight of the dried blood on the carpeted hallway of my apartment, the faint chalked outline of where Phil’s lifeless body had laid staring back at me. I approached the tape and lifted my leg over it, ducking my upper half and squeezing myself through silently, but lost balance and fell into the wall, nearly knocking myself out in the process. I froze and prayed no one heard, feeling satisfied when I didn’t hear immediate footsteps. I breathed a sigh of relief and pursued into the kitchen, making quick work of gathering as much as possible without tripping over the remains of the island and shredded bits of countertop.

I quickly went into my room, rummaging through the Chester draws, grabbing a bag and stuffing clothes in them, along with various forms of toiletries, and lastly, my books; all the classics with a few modern ones thrown in too. I picked up the bag, retreating back to the kitchen and pushing the rest of my items in there as well just as I heard voices approaching.

“We’re sorry to be taking up your time Aro, but, as I’m sure you can understand, the FBI needs to ask these questions”

Shit.

I picked up the bag and ran into the living room, ducking behind the bullet ridden couch as three men entered.

 One of them being Aro.

“If you could just run us through what happened yesterday sir?” one of the men, which I assumed to be an FBI agent said, his gravelly voice sounding bored of his job.

“Me and my men tried to stop him, he went for his gun...hit Caius...Bam. We shot him” My heart beat faster as Aro’s chillingly familiar voice assaulted my ears; he sounded irritated, and sinister.

“And where was the other child? You claimed that there were two children living here?”

“I don’t know! Out making fucking daisy chains for all I care” Aro growled back and I held my breath, stopping a shaky gasp escape my lips.

“Aro,” A different voice answered almost like a warning, and I guessed it as being the second FBI Agent. “We know you’re a very busy man, but we could appreciate it if you could cooper-“

“Look! I don’t have time for the ring-a-rosy; FBI lets join hands and share stories BULLSHIT! I lost a good man here, you want cooperation? Ring my fucking office!” Aro spat back icily, before I heard his heavy footsteps resounding through the room, down the hallway and pushing past the yellow duct tape that had covered the apartment door.

I stayed frozen in place, trying to keep my breathing light whilst my heart pounded in my chest.

“Fucking asshole,” one of the agents grumbled, before they both shuffled out of the room and out the front door.

Exhaling a shaky breath, I stayed put for a couple more minutes, making sure I could hear no one before standing up, only to scream at the figure standing in the middle of the room, arms folded and glaring in my direction.

Double Shit.

“Fuck!” I exclaimed, dropping my bag on the floor, “Jesus Christ Edward, I thought you were Aro,” I said, trying to calm my erratic heartbeat, and retrieving my bag from the floor. My eyes didn’t miss the tight black t-shirt that clung to Edward’s chest, and I found myself appreciating his choice of top, especially since I had discovered what was underneath. His hair was darker and glistening from his shower begging to be ruffled by a pair of hands. Preferably mine.

“Well, let’s be thankful I wasn’t. What the hell are you doing here Bella?” He asked through clenched teeth, his jaw tight and eyes hard.

“I was just...getting some things” I muttered, staring at the floor as an embarrassed blush coloured my cheeks. I heard Edward sigh and as I peeked up at him through my lashes, his eyes narrowed at me, and he pinched the bridge of his nose tightly with his forefinger and thumb.

“Let’s just...get back. We need to talk,” his voice became softer yet hesitant, and his whole demeanour seemed to be apprehensive as I walked past him, back into his own apartment and into his kitchen, with him following close behind. I dropped my bag on the tiled floor and sat down at one of the chairs, drumming my fingers against the table as I watched him stiffly sit down opposite me.

For a few minutes the room remained silent apart from the steady tapping of my fingers, and our quiet breathing. I got up and went to the cupboard, retrieving a glass and filling it up with milk from the fridge, hoping that the gesture would put him at ease. Walking back towards the table I placed the glass softly in front of him and he murmured a quiet thank you as I sat myself back down.

“How are you this morning?” Edward asked nervously as if expecting some outburst of emotion from me; his eyes downcast and shifting from side to side. I raised an eyebrow and leaned back, folding my arms.

“I’m fine”

Edward bobbed his head, reaching for his glass of milk, before pausing and locking his eyes to mine. I blushed and looked away as he drunk, not particularly wishing for a repeat of the previous day, but still stealing a few silent glances from the corner of my eye.

He placed his drink on the table, the sound of the glass coming into contact with the dark, worn wood echoing through the walls of the kitchen. The space became awkwardly silent and I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, looking up at Edward, only to find him frowning down at the table, his thick brows woven together and his lips moving against each other, forming silent whispers as his long fingers brushed against the table absently.

He sucked in a breath and I raised my brows in anticipation of him finally saying something before he exhaled his unsaid words and slumped against the chair, lifting his hand to glide through his wild bronze hair.

I sighed, deciding to make the first move.

“What is it Edwar-“

“You have to leave,” Edward’s firm and decisive voice interrupted my words as I sat frozen in my seat. A sense of dread washed through me at the thought of having no where else to go, being left in the streets alone, my icy heart pumping the cold blood through my veins as my body embraced the hard, cool pavements.

“W-what?” I stammered, unsure if I had heard the poisonous words seeping through his lips.

He sighed and finally lifted his head, his deep green eyes reaching out to my own and trapping me in his stare.

“You can’t be here Bella; it’s not safe for you. What I am...I...Don’t you see?” his eyes burned, hypnotizing me into their pleading depths.

“You can’t kick me out Edward, I – I have no where else to go!

“No grandparents?”

“No.”

“No friends of family?”

No.”

“What about your real fath-“

“I don’t have a fucking father!” I clenched my teeth and glared at him, secretly feeling hurt at the thought of him not wanting me, to abandon me as soon as possible. I should have known from when he asked me sit down, his eyes held that same look, the same look that my mother’s used to hold. The look of feeling inconvenienced, of irritation from having to look after me, except I could see the small hint of guilt in Edward’s eyes, something which, over time disappeared from my mother’s eyes all together.

“Bella, I’m sorry but I-“

“Are there any rules to your job?” I asked, hoping to distract him from the subject. It seemed to work as a look of shock crossed his glorious face, his eyelashes fluttering closed against his cheek and his brows pulling together.

“What?”

“Your job, are there any rules that you have to follow?” I repeated.

“I don’t seem to understand?” He tilted his head and I sighed, leaning forward and folding my arms over the table.

“Can you just kill anyone? Or are there rules?” I said exasperatedly.

He swallowed thickly and averted his gaze to the half empty glass of milk situated on the table in front of him.

“No women, no kids” he muttered, his voice lowering deeply and vibrating through my ears causing tingles to shoot down my spine pleasantly making me shiver lightly.

“Is that why you opened the door?” I asked, hoping that his ‘rules’ weren’t the only reason he didn’t want to see me lying on the floor with a bullet in my head.

“Yes,” he whispered, lowering his head as if in shame.

“Oh,” My shoulders slumped slightly at his admittance, “You regret it,” I murmured, a stabbing pain threading through my chest at the realization that he regretted talking to me, regretted asking for milk, regretted opening that door and letting me stay the night. Regretted everything.

I dropped my head, and drew my bottom lip between my teeth as I glared at the ingrained patterns of the wooden table, the silent seconds passing between us before I heard Edward exhale heavily.

“You think I regret saving you?” his low, heavy, yet still velvety voice sounded strained as his words bounced against the walls surrounding us.

I shrugged limply, still keeping my head down and once again resorted to asking him questions about his occupation.

“How much would it...cost to take out....say...those guys that killed my fam-”

“I don’t kill for revenge. Ever” Edward blurted harshly, and my head snapped up as I witnessed his eyes alight with an intensity in which I hadn’t yet witnessed before. I leaned back from the sudden hostility which was in his voice.

“I wouldn’t want revenge. I was just asking,” I muttered as a burning ache in my throat throbbed in a silent call. I needed a cigarette.

“Well it doesn’t matter Bella, for now you need to be thinking of somewhere else to go,”

I flinched back at his words, the ache in my chest increasing tenfold and I reached down into my bag, fumbling for the crumpled packet which I knew I included in there. I spotted it and pulled it out, retrieving the last cigarette and cheap plastic lighter which I had placed with it. I stuck the cigarette between my lips and quickly lit the end, watching it smoulder and burn a fiery orange as I took a drag, before inhaling, feeling the easiness spread through me at once, and sooth the ache that had laced my throat.

Edward looked up at me with a disapproving frown upon his face as I exhaled the smoke. I twisted my head so that I didn’t breathe it out in his direction, yet kept my eyes solely fixed on his. A sudden thought had occurred to me, and I had a plan.

“Edward?” I asked, lightening my voice to a sweetly innocent level, as I got up and slowly walked over to him, tilting my head, and smiling at him.

He leaned back against my advance, as his eyes shifted around the room warily, a crease etched in his forehead.

“Uh...What?” he replied, and I smirked at the suspicious look on his face. It was now or never.

“Let me make you a deal...”

0 comments:

Post a Comment