Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Daughter, a Sister, an Author, a Friend to many and a Student. And I love being each and every one of them.
Thursday 4 March 2010
Discovered Jobs & A Painless Loss
 BPOV

And it all depended on my next door neighbour

Suddenly I heard the lock click and the door flung open, sexy copper-head man gripped my upper arm and whipped me inside quickly, his other hand curled around a gun which had a silencer attached to it. As soon as he shut the door he peered through the spy hole with narrowed eyes. He turned to me, his eyes hard and jaw clenched.

“Go into the living room,” he ordered curtly and I all but gaped at him, still in shock that he had actually opened the door and that I was still alive.

Now” he snarled, his nostrils flaring and his grip on the gun tightening, he was so fierce, a complete 360 from before.

I stiffly made my way into the living room, placing the bags gently on the coffee table with trembling fingers, Aro’s words constantly repeating in my head

“Make sure they’re all fucking dead and carry on tossing the apartment”

Dead.

My mother. Dead.

I searched deep within for the grief and the sadness but I felt nothing. There was no change in my body, my chest still felt hollow, my heart still ice cold, beating steadily just like it has any other day. I stood still and kept saying to myself she was dead and waited for the emotions to flood through my system, steeling myself for the pain but it had no effect. I felt like I would if someone had announced someone’s death on the news.

Unfortunate, a little pity, but who gives a shit?

 After a few moments I realized that the crushing pain would never come. I hadn’t realised until that moment that I had already grieved for her all those years that she was lost to me through Phil. The pain that I had endured whilst she stayed with him and pushed me away was my form of grief until it settled in my veins and became a sour hatred.

In my mind she was already dead.

I heard sexy copper-head man curse under his breath, and I walked into the hallway where he was still standing by the door, looking through the spy-hole, his hand with the gun pressed up against the door.

“What is it?” I asked warily.

“They’re looking for you” He muttered coldly into the space between us.

I slowly nodded even though I knew he couldn’t see me and absently trudged back to the living room, picked up the bags and took them to the kitchen to unpack them. As I unpacked the various items I shook my head.

“Well, hope you don’t mind but you’ve got more than a carton of milk I’m afraid,” I said lowly to myself and sighing.

“I don’t mind.”

I spun around and clutched my chest at how close his voice was, my heart beat rising rapidly. He was sitting at the kitchen table, staring blankly and his gun still in his palm pointing upwards.

“How the hell did you get there?” I gasped, trying to figure out how he had pulled out a chair and sat down less than a few feet away from me without making a sound.

He lifted his head and cocked an eyebrow at me “I...walked?” he spoke the words slowly as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Yeah, obviously you walked; I meant how did you get there without me hearing anything?” I narrowed my eyes at him questioningly and he shrugged in response, turning to examine the wall again.

“Maybe you just weren’t listening” he muttered.

I turned away from him and back to the counter continuing on pulling things out of the bags, lost in my own thoughts and a frown on my face.

“Maybe” I whispered quietly.

I peeked at him over my shoulder and he was still slumped in his chair, a hardened expression upon his face. This wasn’t the same guy that was smiling at me asking for milk. Something about him had changed, he seemed almost irritated. I wondered if he regretted saving my life and I grimaced at the situation.

I put one carton of milk in the fridge and opened the other rooting around the cupboards looking for a couple of glasses. I frowned as most of the cupboards were bare apart from a few tins and some plates.

“What are you looking for?”

I jumped at the sound of his voice right by my ear and spun around with my teeth clenched

“Jesus can you stop doing that!” I snapped, my heart rate jumping at the close proximity of his body to mine. My head came up to just above his shoulder and I lifted my eyes to look at his face. He pulled his brows together as he looked down at me, his clear green eyes curious.

“Doing what?” he asked as he pressed against me, stretching his arm to open a cupboard behind my head I hadn’t had the chance to get to yet. My breath hitched at the feeling of his torso against mine and I bit my lip trying not to dwell on how thin his black shirt was on him and how badly I wanted to raise my hand and feel how firm his chest was.

“Sneaking up on me” I breathed shakily as he placed two glasses on the counter next to me before chuckling softly and pulling away to walk back to the table. I glared at his retreating form, both angry at the fact that he had pushed up against at me in the first place making me lose concentration and a little bit of my sanity as well as the fact that he had pulled away.

“Like I said Bella. You aren’t listening” He sighed wearily, shaking his head and sitting down at the kitchen table again.

I gritted my teeth and spun back around pouring the two glasses with milk before putting the carton in the fridge. I carried them to the table and sat down myself. He looked up at me as I pushed the glass in front of him and he gave me a small smile, his eyes holding a small amount of sympathy that I had no desire for. The room fell silent apart from the sound of my nails clinking against the glass as I tapped it absently. I could tell he wanted to say something, his lips were parted and moving slightly as if he were forming words, but no sound escaped. The sympathy was still in his eyes that I wished would disappear. Finally he sucked in a quick breath and spoke.

“I’m sorry about your mom, she-“

“If someone didn’t do it sooner or later I probably would have done it myself” I muttered dryly. His brows puckered for a moment, probably contemplating on what to say to fill the awkward silence.

“Your father, he-“

“He’s not my father” I hissed, my voice raising slightly. “He was my step father, and not a good one at that. He deserved every fucking bullet he got.”

“What about your err...” he trailed off as I glared at him, waiting for who else he would assume to be blood related to me. He recoiled from my stare, ran his hand through his dishevelled bronze hair, leaned back again and sighed.

“The blonde?”

“Rosalie? Sure she’ll be missed” I shrugged nonchalantly, and he opened his mouth, I’m guessing to apologize before I spoke again.

“But not by me, I’m sure all the guys at school would be disappointed that they’ll no longer get the chance to stick their dicks in any one of her holes again”

His eyes went wide and his eyebrows were raised in shock at the blunt tone I took when I talked about my family.

He seemed a little bit speechless.

I bit my cheek trying not to smile at his shocked expression. Thankfully the sympathy was no longer there but replaced with shock and curiosity as he gazed into my eyes, a small crease on his forehead. I sighed and tried to get the attention off of me.

“So what’s your name?” I asked, leaning forward and folding my arms on the table. All this time he had just been sexy copper-head man to me. Now I would be able to put a name to his face.

He wrapped his long, slender fingers around his glass and lifted it slightly; his face became nervous and slightly reluctant.

“Edward” he muttered. His brows furrowed at something as I mulled his name over in my head.

Huh. Well it wasn’t as I expected. I don’t know what I was expecting his name to be, but having spent hours gushing over the possibilities in my head, It had made the situation all that more exciting and mysterious. However now I knew, the anticipation just kind of disappeared.

“Really?” I asked, eyeing him sceptically.
He arched one thick brow, his glass of milk still midair.
“You think I would lie about my own name?” the cynical amusement thick in his voice.

“No it’s just...” I trailed off as I thought about his name. It was uncommon, kind of old fashioned, unique. But as I looked at him now, the dishevelled mop of bronze hair, the unbelievably deep and clear green of his eyes, the perfect line of his nose, the strong jaw structure and just his body overall, it became evident that he too was these things. His voice and the way he spoke held a slight old fashioned manner to it, as if he spent most of his life around high class Englishmen and the grace and precision of his movements with an easiness I had never accomplished. I realized something then and smiled widely at him.

“...It suits you” I breathed, shocked at the truth in my words. It fit him perfectly.

He chuckled and tipped the glass at me in solution “Thanks” he said, before raising the glass higher to his lips.

“So what’s your last name?” I blurted out. I didn’t know why but I desperately wanted to know

His hand stilled, the glass just touching his lips before he lowered it slightly and stared at me intensely.

“Masen,” He murmured, his eyes fixed to mine, “Edward Masen,” and with that he lifted the glass once more and his lips parted as he tipped the glass upwards, his Adams apple bobbing with every swallow as the milk slid down his throat.

My lips parted and my eyes widened as I watched the action of his throat. I don’t know why but the whole thing was just exuding waves of strong and sexy masculinity. Before long my mind was flashing images of me kissing and nipping at his neck, sucking on that very same Adams apple, whilst his hands touched every inch of my body. A light shudder rippled down my spine and I squirmed in my seat uncomfortably.

And then the worst thing happened.

Completely forgetting that out of nowhere I had become significantly horny and no control over my bodily functions at the time, I tried distracting myself from the disturbing thoughts that were burned into my mind with speech.

“Cute name” I breathed, however the thoughts were still very much there and so my words came out more like a breathless moan than anything else, thus causing Edward’s eyes to snap open and choke on his milk, little drops flying onto his eyebrows, nose and chin. He set the glass down and coughed, wiping the milk off his face with the back of his hand as my face flushed a burning red and I ducked my head out of embarrassment.

Jesus Christ never try and speak when your horny again Bella

“Uhh thanks” Edward finally replied awkwardly, looking anywhere but at me. Once he finally recovered, the awkward silence returned as we both kept our gazes on the floor, on our glasses, on the table but definitely not at each other. The tension was evidently palpable and rose with every second.

“I’ll be right back” Edward mumbled after a few moments and I breathed a sigh of relief as he broke the silence. He pushed his chair back causing the legs to scrape across the floor loudly and I winced as the sound shrilled in my ears. I looked up at Edward in irritation, knowing he had done it purposely and he smirked in response
“I’m guessing you heard that?” he asked and I glared back at him to which his smirk only grew before he withdrew silently from the room altogether.

I raised my untouched glass to my lips and took a few gulps of the milk, but it had warmed slightly and I grimaced at the aftertaste before pushing the glass away from me. As I pushed it across the table it clinked loudly as it made contact with a small golden bullet which rolled across the table and I grasped it quickly before it reached the edge and fell off.

The cool metal of the bullet burned though my fingertips as I rolled it around in my fingers, bringing it closely to my face as I inspected it curiously. I placed it down gently on the table and noticed the small briefcase that was perched on the edge of the table at the side next to me with even more bullets surrounding it. Glancing at the kitchen door, I listened for any sign of Edward but heard none. Satisfied that he was still busy doing whatever, I raised my hand and tentatively lifted the latch on the briefcase, causing it to fall open and spread its contents across the table in front of me.

“Holy shit” I breathed as a gust of air left my chest. My jaw dropped and my eyes went wide. Six guns, all different lengths lay perfectly fitted in the briefcase, neatly aligned with straps holding them in place, along with lines of bullets, and silencer barrels.

I fingered the guns carefully, brushing them lightly over the cartridges of ammo and different barrel attachments.

“What are you doing?” an angry voice from behind me called.

I yelped and whipped my hand away from the guns, turning to see Edward standing in the middle of the kitchen, arms folded and one eyebrow was raised. His face was taut and his cold hard eyes burned into mine.

“Uh- I – Uh...Sorry Edward” I stammered and ducked my head, my hands falling limply on my lap. Edward crossed the room and exhaled a loud sigh as he closed up the briefcase and placed it on the floor. As he sat down he picked up the various bullets that were at the edge of the table and was inspecting them closely.

I watched perplexed with his movements.

“Edward?” I asked lowly, leaning forward and crossing my arms on the table. He winced at the tone in my voice as I said his name and he huffed in angry defeat, as if he could anticipate my next question.

“Yeah?”

“What exactly do you do...for a living?” I asked lowly as if interrogating a criminal for a confession.

He narrowed his eyes at the bullets in his hands as he rolled them between his forefinger and thumbs before he sighed and his shoulders slumped.

He hesitated slightly, before he finally spoke. “I’m...a cleaner”

I raised my eyebrow at the slang term of his job.

“You mean you’re a hit man?” I replied firmly. His strong jaw clenched and the muscles in his neck became strained.
“Yeah” he muttered through clenched teeth, his shoulders curved inwards as if preparing for an attack. My eyebrows shot up at his admission and I gazed at him in awe.

“Cool” I breathed, discovering that his occupation only added to the level of how unique and perfectly uncommon he was.

Jus like his name, his job suited him somehow.

He stopped glaring at the bullets he was holding and snapped his head up at me, fixing his eyes to mine in shock. That obviously wasn’t the reaction he was expecting.

I smiled at him warmly, hoping that it reassured him but it only caused him to frown and press his lips together in a firm line. He continued staring at me broodingly for a moment before his lips parted, whispering unheard words between them.

“Are you sure you don’t have somewhere else to go? No other family? No place else?”

My body slumped at his words, and I shook my head sadly, averting my eyes from his face to the table while I twirled my fingers nervously. “No I have no place else Edward, I’m sorry,” I said in a small voice, as it dawned on me that he really didn’t want me to be here. My chest constricted at the thought of me having to find my own way somehow.

Edward sighed softly “Hey” he murmured gently, his voice smoother than silk. I lifted my eyes to his face, and his lips curved up into a sad smile.

“You must be tired. Come on, I’ll show you where you can sleep” he cocked his head towards the kitchen door and motioned for me to follow him. Thoughts of me being in his bedroom and in his bed flooded my mind and I felt the warmth flood my cheeks. I looked up to see Edward cocking an eyebrow at me questioningly which caused me to blush a deeper shade of red and look away while I awkwardly waited for him to lead the way.

We walked back out into the living room and I looked around at the space. The only furniture in the room was a single reclining leather chair, a side table placed next to it with a small lamp.

“You don’t spend much time here” I mused quietly as I looked around.

“What makes you say that?” he stopped and turned to face me as I carried on looking at the room.

“Well...” I hesitated, pursing my lips. “It doesn’t look very...lived in, if you know what I mean...”

He raised his eyebrows at me, telling me to explain myself more.

“Well...apart from the plant” I snickered, glancing at the pot plant that was sitting on the windowsill, it’s leaves fluttering silently with the breeze “Nothing looks very...homely” My eyes roamed over his face, trying to figure him out. “What do you do sitting in that chair, with no television or anything?” I asked curiously. He shrugged lightly and looked at the chair in question, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

“I sleep,” he said, “And don’t knock the plant,” he added seriously.

“You sleep?” I frowned at him, confused, “In this chair?” I jerked my chin towards the chair in the corner and he nodded at me sheepishly, looking at me through his lashes, still rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

“Why?” I enquired curiously, desperately trying to piece him together in my mind.

He sighed and dropped his hand from his neck, letting it hang limply at his side.
“Because Bella...” He trailed off and lifted his eyes to meet mine, the swirling green shining brightly, silently communicating some strong emotion which I couldn’t quite grasp.
“In my line of work comfort is a distraction,” he replied; his words laced with some underlying implication and I continued staring at him quizzically.

“The bedroom’s this way” he muttered, his face becoming guarded and his eyes no longer expressing anything. He turned away from me and disappeared down the hallway. I followed him silently, my eyes noting how his muscles moved in his back as his arms swung carefully with his every step.

He stopped once we reached a small square room with a simple double bed and side table; the curtains were drawn casting the room in a mild darkness.

“Well, uh...I’ll just leave you to it” he nodded at his words and gave me a forced smile, the crease still in his forehead, and his brows still furrowed. I turned back to him and nodded slowly biting my lip. He cleared his throat and went to walk away when I stopped him.

“Edward?”

He stiffened and exhaled slowly before turning back to me.

“Yes Bella?”

I smiled at him warmly, feeling an immense wave of gratitude towards him for saving my life and horrified that I hadn’t even said thank you.

“Thanks” I murmured, still smiling at him. He gave one stiff nod and turned back around, taking a few steps before he stopped in his tracks once again.

“Goodnight Bella” he called over his shoulder softly and continued walking down the hall away from me. I closed the door and flopped down on the bed suddenly feeling exhausted. I didn’t know what the time was, but I’m sure it had to be no later than three pm. Either way I knew I needed a nap, and laid down on the bed, the pillows felt rough and un slept in, smelling of cotton and dye. I sighed and closed my eyes as I whispered to the silent room.

“Goodnight Edward”

0 comments:

Post a Comment